Things to Know Before Going Blonde
Thinking of going blonde for the first time? Blonde is a gorgeous color, but it’s one color that brings with it a higher commitment, so it’s important to consider a few things before taking the plunge. The expert colorists at Salon Red have helped plenty of people transition to beautiful blonde hair color, and we can help you, too. Here are some of the top considerations to think about before going blonde.
- Your skin tone. Your skin tone will definitely affect the way your blonde hair looks on you. That said, there’s a shade of blonde for everyone! It’s all about balancing your skin tone with the shade you choose, and our expert colorists can help. With a huge selection of both warm and cool blonde tones to choose from, you’ll get a great look. It just takes a little advanced planning to make a perfect choice.
- Your cut and style. The style you love might determine what shade of blonde will be best for your look because you’ll need to consider how it will grow out. The best idea is to get a haircut you love before starting on your coloring process so that your colorist can determine where to add highlights and lowlights if any.
- Your fashion style. When you go blonde, the fashion colors that looked great before may wash you out, or they might not match with the shade that’s best for your skin tone. That means you might have to buy a few more pieces – sometimes an entirely new wardrobe – to look best with your bright new blonde locks. Even your makeup routine might change since makeup colors will look different against the lighter background of your new blonde hair.
- The maintenance demands. Blonde hair is the most noticeable when it grows out, leaving dark roots that sometimes work with a style and sometimes do not. It’s best to plan on regular root touch-ups, so be sure you have the time and budget for upkeep. You’ll also need special professional-grade haircare products designed for blonde hair to keep it bright and vibrant. Your beautiful blonde hair will be worth all the trouble – but be sure you understand how much upkeep will be needed before taking the plunge.
- The time commitment. In most cases, a transition from a darker shade to blonde isn’t done overnight. Instead, it’s done in stages to gradually pull in the right tones and to ensure that your hair stays healthy during the process. You might not be able to have the degree of blonde you want from your first visit, but you’ll find that even the transitional colors are stunning, and the final results are amazing.
Once you’ve chosen your shade and your Salon Red stylist is ready to transform your hair to blonde, you’ll want to prepare before your first coloring appointment.
- Get in condition. You’ll want your hair in its best possible condition before coloring so that it’ll be soft and manageable when you reach the shade of blonde you want. Your Salon Red stylist will assess your hair’s condition and recommend any special products or professional conditioning treatments needed to get your hair in great shape for coloring.
- Get your cut. As mentioned above, it’s best to get your hair cut before your coloring so that your Salon Red colorist can map out the color using the cut and style you’ll have after coloring. That might mean having a deep conditioning treatment and haircut appointment a few days before your coloring treatment.
- Give a history lesson. Your coloring process will vary based on your hair’s condition and how often it’s been processed in the past. Tell your Salon Red colorist about your hair’s history of processing, including color and texture treatments, so we can design the right coloring treatment for you.
Ready to go blonde? Interested in blonde but not quite sure if it’s for you? The expert colorists at Salon Red can help you decide! Book an appointment today at any of our Atlanta locations: our Brookhaven location - 804 Town Blvd, Suite 1045, 404-373-2003 or our Candler Park location - 1642 Dekalb Ave, 404-373-2868. Need one-on-one stylist or colorist advice from the convenience of your home? Schedule a virtual consultation with your favorite Salon Red stylist today. We can’t wait to see you here!